The energy bills racked up by your small business get out of hand extremely fast. It is one of the significant expenses that every business owner must deal with, but luckily, there are a few ways how some small-business owners can now save on energy costs, but not all of them will apply to you fully.
The good news is, though, that most of them are easy steps that you can take. Let’s check out some of the ways your business can save safe money on energy and how you can become more “green aware.”
- Computers – Turn the computers off when you close the shop for the night. Add some smart plugs to your offices that will turn them off for you at a specified time. If you have several printers hooked up to your computers, go down to one central printer and remove the rest.
- Equipment – Depending on your industry, the business can invest in some energy-efficient equipment. The investment may be high to start with, but in the end, you will be able to see a difference in your energy bill.
- Cryptocurrency – Some utility companies accept cryptocurrencies as payments, which can save you time and money because there will never be any of the added fees that the bank, and the utility company, add on to cover costs. Not all companies recognize them as an option, so you will need to dig to find a power company that accepts it as payment.
- Compare – One of the best ways to save some money on your company bills is to take the time to compare service providers. If you are new to this and want to know how to compare electricity rates, it is very easy. All you need to do is go online and find a platform that will give you a list of the utility providers in your area that will work with you. From there, you can pick the one that works best for you and charges the least money for those services.
- Fixed Pricing – Check with your utility provider and see if you are on a variable or fixed pricing contract. The variable one will give you a price that goes along with the market fluctuations, while a fixed one will charge you the same amount every month for the length of the contract. This is the choice you want to go with, even if you are paying a little more at first. It will save you money by the end of the year.
- Go Green – The absolute number one way to decrease energy bills is to “go green.” Add in an energy system fed by the sun through solar panels. If you live by the water, set up a water system with generators, or get some windmills to produce energy. If you can afford to add them all to your business plan. Not only will you get some tax breaks and not be required to pay a power bill, but you may produce extra power that you can sell back to the power company, getting your business a check from them every month.
You can also make numerous changes to your daily routines as well. Turn off lights when not needed, such as at night. Leave enough on for security reasons, but there is no reason to have the exterior lit up like a casino unless you are one. Turn the temperature controls down, insulate everywhere you can, replace old windows with energy-saving ones, and so on. The things that you can do are the same that you would do at home, except on a bigger scale.